Hilary Mantel continues her accolade-nabbing, prize-winning streak with a place on the 2013 longlist for the Women’s Prize for Fiction (formerly known as the Orange Prize for Fiction). Her book Bring Up the Bodies has already won the 2012 Man Booker Prize and the 2012 Costa Award.
Also named to the longlist are:
- A.M. Homes’ May We Be Forgiven (which has an awesome cover)
- Kitty Aldridge’s The Trick I Learned from Dead Men
- G. Willow Wilson’s Alif the Unseen
- Barbara Kingsolver’s Flight Behaviour
- Gillian Flynn’s Gone Girl (Reese Witherspoon is set to produce and star in the movie version)
- Elif Shafak’s Honour
- Sheila Heti’s How Should a Person Be?
- Michele Roberts’ Ignorance
- Bonnie Nadzam’s Lamb
- Kate Atkinson’s Life After Life
- Carrie Tiffany’s Mateship with Birds
- Zadie Smith’s NW (also a National Book Critics Circle Award Finalist)
- Emily Perkins’ The Forrests
- Francesca Segal’s The Innocents
- M.L. Stedman’s The Light Between Oceans
- Ros Barber’s The Marlowe Papers
- Shani Boianjiu’s The People of Forever are Not Afraid
- Maria Semple’s Where’d You Go, Bernadette?
- Deborah Copaken Kogan’s The Red Book
The shortlist will be announced on April 16, 2013 with the winner to be announced on June 5, 2013. The winner will receive £30,000 and a limited edition ‘Bessie’ award created and donated by the artist Grizel Niven. Both the bronze award and cash prize are anonymously endowed.